Christ Caring For People Through People
Dover Bethany Church
4510 Bull Road
Dover, PA 17315
What is Stephen Ministry?
Stephen Ministry is grounded in Jesus’ command to love one another. Through one-to-one caring relationships, those who are hurting receive the love and care they need to support them.
Is life more than you can handle alone right now?
- Is your health, your attitude, or your relationships suffering?
- Are you adjusting to a new job, a change in marital status, a serious illness, the death of a loved one, a recent move?
- Would you like to have someone in your life that really cares?
Everyone goes through difficult times. Having someone to care, to listen, to share God’s love with you can help you get through the confusion, stress, or loneliness you may be experiencing.
Stephen Ministry is a confidential ministry: those receiving care can be sure that their identity and what goes on in the caring relationship will remain private.
Who is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister is…
A child of God who walks beside a hurting person;
- A caring Christian friend who really listens;
- A lay person who has received 50 hours of training in how to provide distinctively Christian care
A Stephen Minister is not…
A counselor or therapist;
- A problem-solver
- A casual visitor
Stephen Ministers Are Called to be Caregivers
Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2
God Is the Curegiver
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28
How Does a Person Become a Stephen Minister?
A member of this church or a Stephen Ministry congregation;
- A written application;
- A personal interview and selection;
- A two year commitment;
- Fifty (50) hours of training;
- Frequent contacts with the care-receiver
- Once-a- month supervision and continuing education;
- A commitment to CONFIDENTIALITY.
Who Does Stephen Ministry Help?
There are times when each of us needs the care of another person, a Christian friend, a Stephen Minister! These needs include but are not limited to those who are….
- terminally ill;
- in a job crisis;
- new members of the church;
- in a spiritual crisis;
- separated or divorced;
- experiencing a new birth or adoption;
- the aging or elderly; or
- looking for a caring Christian friend.
How Does the Referral Process Work?
- A person- you, a relative, or a friend-is hurting and in need of Christian care.
- The Stephen Leaders learn about this need for care from the Pastors, Stephen Ministers, the person, or a friend, always with the person’s permission.
- The Stephen Leaders meet with the person to talk about Stephen Ministry.
- With the person’s permission, and both the Leaders and the individual believe they will benefit from a Stephen Ministers care, a Stephen Minister will then be assigned to meet with them on a weekly basis.
How can the Stephen Leaders be contacted?
If you or some one you know is in need of care or to find out more about Stephen Ministry at Dover Bethany United Methodist Church please contact our Stephen Leader:
Lynette Stief 292-6538